COURSE CODE: 04
COURSE NAME: Architectural Design I
Design Project #3: AN INFANT/TODDLER CARE CENTER
CENTER FOR 30 INFANT/TODDLERS
(Age groups 2 months to 2 years - 11 months)
1. Entrance with a Vestibule 100 sq. ft.
2. Lobby with seating area for approximately 4 to 8 people 350 sq. ft.
3. Clerical Office (receptionist and bookkeeper), 160 sq. ft.
Office to have a closet 24 sq. ft. in area with lockable door and a bank teller type window opening to lobby located to permit visual control of the entrance and, if possible, to control the second means of egress as well.
4. Three (3) 10-Infant/Toddler Play Rooms at 60 sq. ft. per child, each room totaling 600 sq. ft., exclusive of cubby area toilet, and general storage closet.
Each infant/toddler playroom shall have the following accessory spaces:
A. General Storage - Provide a minimum of 70 sq. ft. of storage for:
· Cots (4 1/2' X 2') - Four cots in each of the 10-infant/toddler play rooms.
· Cribs (53" x 30" plus mattresses) 2 in each of the 10-infant/toddler play rooms.
· Teachers supplies, including toys.
· Storage Room shall also be able to accommodate playpens, high chairs, and extra supplies of baby food, pampers and medical supplies.
B. Toilet - 60 sq. ft.
· One child height water closet.
· One lavatory.
· Space for three Potties, allow 20" depth minimum.
C. Changing Area
· The changing counter and cabinets shall be in the play room to permit staff members changing diapers to have visual control of all others. This is part of the net area of the playroom, and additional square footage may not be allotted to this function.
· Provide 2'-6" wide by 9'-O" long by 3'-O" high cabinet with one large and one small sink set into a water resistant counter top at one end, and at least a 4'-6" length of counter top for diaper changing at the other end.
· The large sink shall be used for bathing infant/toddlers, and the small for hand washing. Above the sinks shall be 18" deep kitchen type metal cabinet for clothing storage. (Make clearance above) Below the counter base cabinets shall be for linen, diapers, and paper goods storage.
· Install a one-way see-through mirror glass above the counter to double as an observation window.
Space shall be provided for storage lockers (1' x l' x 3' height). Each infant shall have his or her own cubby for storage of out door clothing. Allow 50 sq. ft.
E. Playroom Observation Space
The size of this room may vary, a 30 sq. ft. room is optimum. A one way mirror is to be provided above the changing table or in the entrance door for viewing infants.
· Children's closet 8 sq. ft.
· Teacher's closet 6 sq. ft.
· Cubby area 10 sq. ft.
5. Multi-Purpose Room Adjacent to the playrooms, including 80 sq. ft. Storage 450 sq. ft
Administration to be located as close to playrooms as possible..
6. Director and Assistant Directors Office 220 sq. ft. exclusive of closet.
The Director's Office shall be in close proximity to the Play Rooms. Storage closet: 2'-6" X 3'-O".
7. Caseworker's Office - 100 to 120 sq. ft. exclusive of required closet.
8. Medical Room Total area of 120 to 160 sq. ft. exclusive of storage closet should include space for:
· A desk, 2 chairs, a crib, a scale and examination table.
· Toilet adjacent to opening into medical room 25 sq. ft. shall contain one water closet and one lavatory.
· Storage closet 2'-6" X 3'-O
9. Conference Room/Parents Room 120 - 150 sq. ft
10. Staff Lounge 180 sq. ft.
11. Staff Changing Room 40 sq. ft. for 12 staff members. One locker for every two staff members. Each locker is 12" wide; this space can open into Staff Room.
12. Utility Rooms (2) Utility rooms shall be 95 sq. ft., each with its own entrance from the hall.
· Soiled Area: Room shall include: Counter with storage above or below; under counter space for large "garbage can sized" container; slop sink; and storage closet, washing machine, and clothes dryer.
· Clean Area: Room shall include: Counter with storage above or below, slop sink.
13. Kitchen To be easily serviced from the street, preferably with a direct service entrance. The kitchen complex shall consist: Pantry, 100 sq. ft., Preparation Area, 215 sq. ft. Total =315 sq. ft.
14. General Storage - to be located off hall shall include area for:
· Linen 50 to 100 sq. ft.
· Play room supplies 125 sq. ft.
15. Carriage And Stroller Storage - Provide carriage space with a pair of operable swing doors for at least 75% of the Infant/Toddler population. Each carriage 33" x 22 1/2" (6 sq. ft. ea.)
16. Janitor's closet 4' 0" x 6' 0" (1 on each floor) 24 sq. ft.
17. Custodian's workroom 120 sq. ft.
18. Toilets One public toilet and one staff toilet each 30 sq. ft.
19. Corridor Space 8'-O" minimum width is required from infant room to fire exit. (Circulation: 15% - 20% of the total net space should be allocated for corridors and stairs.)
20. Outdoor Play Area: 20 to 30 sq. ft. per child shall be provided on the same level as the Play Rooms or easily accessible by short ramp, or large service elevator.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All Infant/Toddler Care Spaces shall be on the Ground Level. The 2nd Floor is Permitted if there is (non-combustible) ramp ingress and egress. The play area shall be on the same level as Infant/Toddler care unless service type elevator is available large enough to accommodate 4 carriages or strollers at a time is available. Such elevator shall be 6' X 10' minimum size.
1. Site Plan: 1/8 = 10. Show all roads, walks, site-access, parking, landscaping, and building entrances.
2. Floor Plan (s): ¼ = 1-0. Show all walls, windows, door swings, stairs, elevator, and all fixtures and equipment specified. Indicate the gross square foot area of each level and the building total.
3. Elevations and Sections: ¼ = 1-0. Draw minimum of two elevations which best explain your solution and two sections (preferably at right angles to each other).
4. Rendering (s) and/or a Model.