COURSE CODE: 04/05
COURSE NAME: Architectural Design I and II
Design Project: A DAY CARE CENTER FOR PRE-SCHOOL CHILDREN
CENTER FOR 100 CHILDREN
(Age groups 3 to 6 years old)
1. Entrance with a Vestibule 100 sq. ft.
2. Lobby with seating area for approximately 4 to 8 people 400 sq. ft.
3. Clerical Office (receptionist and bookkeeper), 160 sq. ft.
Office to have a closet 24 sq. ft. in area with lockable door and a bank teller type counter opening to lobby located to permit visual control of the entrance and, if possible, to control the second means of egress as well.
4. Five (5) Play Rooms each For 20 Children at 35 sq. ft. per child, 700 sq. ft. exclusive of cubby area, toilet and closets.
Each playroom shall have the following accessory spaces:
· Cubby area and alcove shall be as close to the entrance of the playroom as possible. Each child to have a cubby which measures 12" X 12" X 52" H
· Toilet room containing two water closets and one wash basin for a 20-child playroom. All fixtures to be child size. The door shall be located so that there is direct observation into the toilet room from the playroom.
· Sink for water play in a 2' X 5' counter cabinet mounted at child height.
· Cot storage room with double door opening out to playroom: 30 - 50 sq. ft.
· General storage closet w/double doors 10 - 15 sq. ft.
5. Multi-purpose room-used for small group instruction, Adjacent to the playrooms, including 120 sq. ft. Storage 600 sq. ft.
Administration to be located as close to playrooms as possible.
6. Director's and Assistant Director's Offices near Clerical Office. 180 sq. ft. Each
7. Administrative Office Total area of 400 sq. ft. for (2) administrative workers with reproduction area.
8. Caseworker's Offices (2) Family counselors 150 sq. ft. Each.
9. Medical Room Total area of 200 sq. ft. exclusive of storage closet should include space for:
· A desk, 2 chairs, a crib, a scale and examination table.
· Toilet adjacent to opening into medical room 35 sq. ft. shall contain one water closet and one lavatory.
· Storage closet 50sf
10. Conference Room/Parents Rooms (2) Two @ 150 sq. ft Each
11. Staff lounge (locate adjacent to Assistant Director's Office or Director's Office) 200 sq. ft., Offices to have coat closets 7 - 8 sq. ft. net office area.
12. Staff Changing Room 200 sq. ft. for 20 staff members. One locker for every two staff members. Each locker is 12" wide; this space can open into Staff Room.
13. Utility Rooms (2) Utility rooms shall be 120 sq. ft., each with its own entrance from the hall.
· Soiled Area: Room shall include: Counter with storage above or below; under counter space for large "garbage can sized" container; slop sink; and storage closet, washing machine, and clothes dryer.
· Clean Area: Room shall include: Counter with storage above or below, slop sink.
14. Kitchen to be easily serviced from the street preferably with a direct service entrance. The kitchen complex shall consist of:
· Food Preparation Area 400 - 500 sq. ft.
· Pantry (food larder) 150 sq. ft.
· Walk-in refrigerator 44 - 55 sq. ft.
· Kitchen staff dining area 100 sq. ft.
· Area for carts, linens (6 sq. ft. per car-t min.) 50 sq. ft.
15. Janitor's closet 4' 0" x 6' 0" (1 on each floor) 24 sq. ft.
16. Custodian's workroom 120 sq. ft.
17. General Storage - to be located off hall shall include area for:
· Linen 50 to 100 sq. ft.
· Play room supplies 125 sq. ft.
18. Corridor Space 8'-O" minimum width is required from infant room to fire exit. (Circulation: 15% - 20% of the total net space should be allocated for corridors and stairs.)
19. Public toilet adjacent to the lobby with a water closet and one lavatory.
20. Staff toilets, 2 rooms, each with a water closet, a lavatory, and lockers.
21. Outdoor Play Areas
· Where possible outdoor play areas, shall be located directly off the playroom, but may be located on the roof of the building.
· Outdoor play space shall be divided into separate areas by low movable planters. Provide 400 sq. ft. space for each playroom. Provide play areas with outdoor toy storage, hose bib, planting area, landscaping, and shaded areas. In addition, the plan for every play area must include a slide and a climber. If play area is on the roof, there shall also be a toilet with a minimum of one water closet and one lavatory. Planter boxes shall be included for all roof play areas, preferably several should be built-ins.
· A hose bib shall be provided in each play area, whether at ground level or on roof.
· Outdoor toy storage shall be provided, one toy storage room or structure for every outdoor play area.
· Provide a 50 sq. ft. storage room for each play area.
· Twenty to twenty five percent of the outdoor play area shall be shaded.
· All rooms to be occupied by children shall be above ground, and shall have windows.
· A child shall not be kept for any period of time in a cellar as defined in C26-30.0 of the Administrative Code.
· A child shall not be permitted to remain for any period of time in a basement as defined in C26-22.0 of the Administrative Code when one side of the basement is more than three feet below the surface of the ground surrounding the building, without the prior approval of the Department. Such approval shall
· All rooms to be occupied by children must have natural lighting, and operable windows.
Design Project: Site Map